Wednesday, March 11, 2015

March Papertrey Ink Countdown - Day 2

Welcome back for Day 2 of the Papertrey Ink March countdown! I'm so happy to hear about your excitement about the Retro Style collection and the newest Text Block die! It's always wonderful to hear when you've designed something that fills a gap. Makes me feel like I'm doing my job well and who doesn't like that, am I right? Well, I have a few more projects to share with all of you today, so let's get to it!

This first card is a great example of how you can use Retro Style Graduation to create more general congratulations cards. Know a theater, music, or art student? This sentiment might be right up that kid's alley.


I began by die cutting the sign and rectangle layer from white cardstock. I stamped the arrow in Harvest Gold and the rectangle in Tropical Teal. Then, I trimmed out the inside of the rectangle image and layered that piece with an Aqua Mist die cut that I'd heat embossed with the "you're a" phrase. I adhered that all into place on the larger sign shape and added the word die cut. Then, I cut the bubble shape from Melon Berry, stamped it with the coordinating sentiment in Berry Sorbet, and mounted it to the sign shape with foam tape. Then, I lost my mind a little. I cut a bobbin die (but any stitching die could work here) from Harvest Gold and used the tiny circle negatives to add lights to the sign. I attached them to the rectangle using a fine-point glue pen and then embellished with clear glitter. I'd gone that far, so glitter seemed like the next logical step. Ha!


Next, I die cut the Notched Star Banner from Harvest Gold and white cardstocks. I adhered the white banner to a Tropical Teal card front and filled in the larger star negatives from the Harvest Gold shape. I added a section of a Berry Sorbet banner embellished with glitter and finished up by mounting the sign with foam tape. This sentiment works for so many big occasions, not just graduation.

This next one is for my youngest brother's 16th birthday. It's coming up here in just a couple of months and I think he'll get a kick out of the retro sign.


I began by die cutting the complete sign shape from Pure Poppy, the arrow from Aqua Mist, and the rectangular base from Luxe Silver Adhesive paper and white cardstock. I layered those last two and added seaming with a round-nosed stylus. I was going for a chrome look and I'll be darned if it didn't totally work! I stamped the sign with the pinstripe image using Scarlet Jewel and heat embossed the word "birthday" using white powder. Then, I stamped the arrow shape with it's coordinating image using Hawaiian Shores ink and adhered it to the larger sign shape. Next, I stamped the ring onto a circle shape and added the numerals and ordinals with Hawaiian Shores and Tropical Teal inks. I didn't include a circle shape in the die set, but any 3/4" or so circle shape will work. This one was cut using the Heart-2-Heart #12 die. Finally, I mounted all of the loose parts to the larger sign shape using foam tape.


Then, I went about creating a shaker box using Betsy's new You've Been Framed: Diamond die. I cut the frame from Harvest Gold striped paper and white cardstock. I adhered the striped paper to a Smokey Shadow card front and sprinkled on some Crystal chunky glitter and red and turquoise hexagonal glitters. I added the frame using foam tape (the central diamond having been backed with clear cardstock). Sorry for the in-progress snapshot, but I wanted you to be able to see the shaker before I added the sign.


Which I then did with Scor Tape directly onto the shaker front. Isn't it fun?! I hope he loves it. I mean...check out that chrome!

This last one is a window card made with the new Text Block: You Did It die.


I began by die cutting the Text Block from Spring Rain cardstock. I added flags in Limeade Ice, Enchanted Evening, and Summer Sunrise cardstocks and embellished with the mortar board from For The Graduate. Then, I cut a rectangular opening into a card base that I'd layered with striped Summer Sunrise paper. I added a Limeade Ice sentiment flag that I'd stamped with phrases from Retro Style Graduation in Enchanted Evening ink and heat embossed white.


I finished it simply by adding the Text Block with foam tape. Yesterday's card was much more feminine (what with the ruffles and total glitter coverage), so I thought I'd go a little more masculine today. I hope you like!

That's all for me today! Make sure to check in with Nichole, Betsy, Danielle, Dawn, Heather, LauraMaile, and Melissa for more inspiration with this month's sets! Have a great day!

Recipes:
You're A Star Card
Stamps: Retro Style Graduation (available March 15th) - Papertrey Ink
Cardstock: Tropical Teal, Melon Berry, Harvest Gold, Aqua Mist, Berry Sorbet - Papertrey Ink; white
Ink: Berry Sorbet, Harvest Gold, Tropical Teal - Papertrey Ink; VersaMark - Tsukineko
Other: Retro Style Die Collection (available March 15th), Notched Star Banner Die Collection, Sketched Shapes Die - Papertrey Ink; White Embossing Powder - Filigree; Fine Crystal Glitter - Martha Stewart Crafts; Foam Tape - Scotch; Glue Pen

16th Birthday Card
Stamps: Retro Style Graduation (available March 15th), Retro Style Birthday Sentiments (available March 15th) - Papertrey Ink
Cardstock: Smokey Shadow, Pure Poppy, Aqua Mist, Harvest Gold Patterned Paper, Luxe Silver Adhesive Sheets, Clear Cardstock - Papertrey Ink; white
Ink: Scarlet Jewel, Hawaiian Shores, Tropical Teal, Summer Sunrise - Papertrey Ink; VersaMark - Tsukineko
Other: Retro Style Die Collection (available March 15th), You've Been Framed: Diamond Die (available March 15th), Heart-2-Heart #12 Die - Papertrey Ink; White Embossing Powder - Filigree; Chunky Crystal Glitter, Garnet Hexagonal Glitter, Turquoise Hexagonal Glitter - Martha Stewart Crafts; Foam Tape - Scotch

You Did It Window Card
Stamps: Retro Style Graduation (available March 15th), For The Graduate - Papertrey Ink
Cardstock: Limeade Ice, Enchanted Evening, Summer Sunrise, Spring Rain, Summer Sunrise Striped Paper - Papertrey Ink; white
Ink: Enchanted Evening - Papertrey Ink; VersaMark - Tsukineko
Other: Text Block: You Did It Die (available March 15th), For The Graduate Die, Tag Sale #5 - Papertrey Ink; Foam Tape - Scotch; White Embossing Powder - Filigree

10 comments:

Cheryl said...

Lizzie, these are fantastic! I love those signs!

mamashops said...

Love your graduation card!!

mamashops said...

Love your graduation card!!

jan metcalf said...

Great ideas! Framed outs are a perfect set up for shaker cards, and I love my shaker cards!

sharin said...

Oh, the retro card is just perfect; your brother will love it. ...and the chrome touch! You shared some fantastic cards. Thanks for the inspiration!

Helen L said...

Great, great cards!! The card for your brother is especially great!! Love the grey background: it just makes the middle pop! Hugs, H in Healdsburg

Daria Z. said...

The retro stamps are just too fun! Wonderful cards!

Kathy Mc said...

Your chrome looks awesome. I'm sure your dear brother will love it, especially since you made it for him. : ) Now you've inspired me to try a window card for something different as your "Hooray" card is fabulous.

María Alba Negrón said...

Hi Lizzie,

Wonderful display of creativity!!!

Cariños,
María Alba

Kathy Krug said...

Love the window card. Your details are fabulous.